Having a good relationship with your Psychiatrist is very important.
Your psychiatrist will encourage you to talk openly about your mental health, personal life and private thoughts.
Having a psychiatrist you are comfortable talking to makes it more likely you'll get better, faster.
Can I choose my Psychiatrist?
Usually, your GP (family doctor) will choose a psychiatrist when they write your referral.
But you can also ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist of your choice.
If you are seen in a public hospital or community clinic you will be assigned a psychiatrist.
What should I look for in a Psychiatrist?
There are a wide variety of psychiatrists.
Some have a special interest or training in the treatment of children, older people or veterans, for example.
Some have a special interest in a particular mental illness.
Before you see a psychiatrist, talk to your GP and take some time to think about:
- practical things like location, cost and clinic opening hours
- the type of person you are most comfortable talking to – think about your preferred age, gender, cultural background and language
- if you need someone with a special interest in your condition
- if you need someone with a special interest in a particular treatment.
How do I find a Psychiatrist?
Find a Psychiatrist is a free online directory of psychiatrists in Australia. Produced and managed by the RANZCP, it provides the most authoritative and up-to-date information on Australian psychiatrists who you can see outside of the hospital system.
Using the search fields you can look for a psychiatrist who:
- is close to where you live
- treats people with your condition
- is your preferred gender
- speaks a language other than English
- has particular skills or experience
- offers a particular treatment.
Use the Find a Psychiatrist directory
At Belmont Private Hospital we have a range of specialised programs, treatment options and mental health professionals who can help you. Click here to view our range of specialists.
If you would like to make an enquiry about any of our Psychiatrists or wish to know more about our Admission process, please contact our Admissions and Assessment team on 1800 700 274.